All Broadway theaters will close as of 5 p.m. Thursday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced today.
The shutdown was ordered by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo Thursday, after he banned gatherings of 500 or more. The Broadway League had previously said that Broadway would be “open for business” unless advised not to by the government.
“We have already spoken to the theaters about these new measures and they agreed,” Cuomo said in a tweet Thursday.
The League said a statement is forthcoming.
There were six Broadway openings scheduled for March, including the opening of SIX Thursday night. Many more are scheduled to begin previews and open ahead of the April 23 deadline to be eligible for the 2020 Tony Awards. In total, there were 31 productions on the boards Thursday.
There were 62 confirmed cases of coronaviruses in New York City as of Thursday morning, including a Broadway usher who worked at the Booth and Brooks Atkinson Theatres in recent weeks.
This joins other closures announced Thursday in New York City, including the Metropolitan Opera, Carnegie Hall and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Broadway has shutdown a handful of times in the past, including a League-ordered shutdown for all shows two days after Sept. 11, 2001. Previous instances include a 1960s’ Equity strike, resulting in an 11-day shutdown of the industry and musicians’ strikes in 1975 and 2003 that largely impacted musicals.